Reader in Vascular Biology
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London
2009-2015-date Senior Lecturer in Vascular Biology, Imperial College London
2003-2009 Honorary Lecturer/ Senior Research Fellow, Rayne Institute, University College London 2000-2003 Senior Research Fellow, University College London, Ludwig Institute for Cancer
Research (Intermediate British Heart Foundation Fellowship) 1996-2000 Research Fellow (RA II), University College London, LCR
1992-1996 Research Assistant/Honorary Research Fellow, University of Glasgow 1986-1991 Research Assistant, Jagiellonian University, Cracow
1986 MSc Cell Biology, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland 1986-1991 PhD in Cell Biology, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland CURRENT GRANTS 2016- (All grants in total >£2.8mln)
Primary applicant on all grants- BWS , unless indicated otherwise
2017-2020 ICTEM BHF MRes/PhD studentship (4 years); “Pulmonary artery on a chip” 2017-2020 Imperial College Department of Chemistry PhD studentship, co-applicant
2016-2020 PhD studentship funded by the Government of Saudi Arabia, £ 210,000 “Role of CLIC proteins in the regulation of mitochondrial function in pulmonary hypertension.
2016-2019 BHF Project Grant no. PG/16/4/31849 “miR-150 as a regulator of endothelial function in pulmonary arterial hypertension” £214,875
2016-2018 BHF Project Grant no. PG/15/69/31719 £173,452
“Endothelial clic4 in the regulation of pulmonary vascular remodelling in PH” 2014-2018 Government of Saudi Arabia, PhD studentship, total value £ 210,000
“Therapeutic role of exosome-mediated gene delivery in pulmonary hypertension” 2012 – 2016 PhD studentship funded by the Ministry of Education of Kuwait, total value £ 150,000
“Neutrophil extracellular traps (NET) formation in pathogenesis of PH” 2015-2016 BHF Centre of Excellence pilot project grant £50,000.
I have published 40 research articles, 4 book chapters and 6 review articles (conference abstracts not included). Peer-reviewed articles (since 2012):
1. Duluc L, Ahmetaj-Shala B, Mitchell J, Abdul-Salam VB, Mahomed AS, Aldabbous L, Oliver E, Iannone L, Dubois OD, Storck EM, Tate EW, Zhao L, Wilkins MR, Wojciak-Stothard B. Tipifarnib prevents development of hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Cardiovasc Res. 2017 Mar 1;113(3):276-287.
2. Aldabbous L, Abdul-Salam V, McKinnon T, Duluc L, Pepke-Zaba J, Southwood M, Ainscough AJ, Hadinnapola C, Wilkins M, Toshner M, Wojciak-Stothard B. Neutrophil Extracellular Traps Promote Angiogenesis: Evidence From Vascular Pathology in Pulmonary Hypertension. ATVB. 2016 Oct;36(10):2078-87
3. Belik D, Tsang H, Wharton J, Howard L, Bernabeu C, Wojciak-Stothard B. Endothelium-derived microparticles from chronically thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensive patients facilitate endothelial angiogenesis. 2016;.J Biomed Sci. 2016 Jan 19;23(1):4;
4. Mohamed NA, Ahmetaj-Shala B, Duluc L, Mackenzie LS, Kirkby NS, Reed DM, Lickiss PD, Davies RP, Freeman GR, Wojciak-Stothard B, Chester AH, El-Sherbiny IM, Mitchell JA, Yacoub MH. A New NO-Releasing Nanoformulation for the Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2016 Mar 9.
5. Beata Wojciak-Stothard; Vahitha B. Abdul-Salam; Ka Hou Lao; et al. Aberrant chloride intracellular channel 4 expression contributes to endothelial dysfunction in pulmonary arterial hypertension; Circulation. 2014; 29;129(17):1770-80
6. Iannone L, Zhao L, Dubois O, Duluc L, Rhodes CJ, Wharton J, Wilkins MR, Leiper J, Wojciak-Stothard B.
MiRNA-21/DDAH1 pathway regulates pulmonary vascular responses to hypoxia. Biochem J. Aug 15;462(1):103-12; 2014
7. Hilda Tsang, James Leiper, Ka Hou Lao, Laura Dowsett, Matthew W Delahaye, Gareth Barnes, John Wharton, Luke Howard, Lucio Iannone, Ninian N Lang, Martin R Wilkins, and Beata Wojciak-Stothard. Role of asymmetric methylarginine and connexin 43 in the regulation of pulmonary endothelial function.
Pulmonary Circulation, 2013, Sep;3(3):675-91
8. Rhodes CJ, Wharton J, Boon RA, Roexe T, Tsang H, Wojciak-Stothard B, Chakrabarti A, Howard LS, Gibbs JS, Lawrie A, Condliffe R, Elliot CA, Kiely DG, Huson L, Ghofrani HA, Tiede H, Schermuly R, Zeiher AM, Dimmeler S, Wilkins MR. Reduced microRNA-150 is associated with poor survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Feb 1;187(3):294-302
9. Wojciak-Stothard B, Zhao L, Oliver E, Dubois O, Wu Y, Kardassis D, Vasilaki E, Huang M, Mitchell JA, Louise H, Prendergast GC, Wilkins MR. Role of RhoB in the Regulation of Pulmonary Endothelial and Smooth Muscle Cell Responses to Hypoxia. Circ Res. 2012 May 25;110(11):1423-34.
Fellowships and Awards
British Heart Foundation Intermediate Fellowship 2003
Sir John Vane Award for Best Publication on Innovation in Pulmonary Vascular Research related to Pulmonary Hypertension, European Respiratory Society, 2013
1. Reviewer of programme and project grants for French National research Agency (ANR)
2. Reviewer of programme and project grants, Polish executive government agency of National Science Centre, 2015-
3. Committee member, London Vascular Biology Forum Commiittee, King’s College London, 2013 –
4. Committee member, International Workshop on Cardiovascular Biology and Translational Medicine, University College London, 2015 –
5. Panel member, International Review Panel for the proposed Collaborative German Centres of Health Research (large proposal for the German Research Foundation supporting work of several groups 2009-2013, total budget 300 mln Euro), German Federal Government, 2009 – 2013
6. Panel member, International Review Panel for the German Centre for Lung Research, German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, 2010 – 2011
Membership of professional and learned societies:
• Member of the London Vascular Biology Forum Commiittee
• Member of the European Vascular Biology Organization (EVBO)
• Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute Fellow
• Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the company IKARIA (2009-2011)
PhD and MSc/MRes/BSc Student supervision:
6 PhD students (3 to completion), 7 MSc/MRes students; 8 BSc students
PhD examination: as internal examiner: 6, as external examiner: 9 (national and international)
Teaching Responsibilities in Current Post:
Deputy leader of Cardiovascular and Throracic Biology Module, BSc in Medical Bioscience course (2016-) Lecturer in Cardiovascular Science Module 2, MRes in Translational Medicine, MSc Molecular Medicine, BSc Haematology
I am currently employed as a Reader in Vascular Biology at Imperial College London. I am a member of EVBO and have supported its work through attendance of EVBO scientific meetings and various collaborations since its foundation in 2006.
I am fully supportive of EVBO idea of networking and scientific collaboration of vascular biologists in Europe and would like to contribute further to its organization and governance.
I have extensive experience in attracting grant funding (total>3.3mln Euro), organization of national and international meetings, work in international grant review panels and supporting the careers of young scientists. I hope my experience will be of value to the Organising Council and that I can assist in the growth and development of EVBO for the future.